There’s a lot of behind-the-scenes brain power that goes into planning your favorite programs, be it public, family-friendly, or custom outings. Learn about those who work inside so you can get outside. This week we’ll be interviewing Billy Dixon, our Program Administrator.
1. Briefly tell us about your background: where did you grow up, where did you go to school, and what brought you to Venture Outdoors?
I grew up in Evans City, Pennsylvania just 40 minutes north of the city and went to school at the University of Pittsburgh. I got a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with a focus in Marketing. After a few road trips during college, I started falling in love with all things outdoors. That led me to a Marketing Internship at Venture Outdoors. After a few months as an intern, the Program Administrator position opened. This was a few months before graduation, and I interviewed and got the position. I started working close to full time before graduation in order to get the position, but it was totally worth it!!
2. Describe your role at Venture Outdoors in 10 words or less.
The people person! Customer Service Rep for all things programming.
3. What does “getting outside” mean to you?
Connecting to the outdoors through recreation, whatever the activity may be!
4. If you had to pick only one recreational activity to practice for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
Climbing. If I’m not working at Venture Outdoors, I’m probably climbing or working and instructing at Ascend Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh’s newest climbing gym!
5. What is the craziest thing you have done?
Scrambling up Black Tusk in British Columbia and Bungee Jumping the next day. See my blog post “A Brief Adventure in British Columbia” If you want to read all about it!
6. What are your top five favorite outdoors/travel destinations?
Zion National Park, Squamish, BC, Mt. Hood Wilderness, Puerto Rico, Rumbling Bald, NC
7. What is your favorite forest/camping snack?
Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels!
8. Name three people in history (dead or alive) with whom you would want to take on a Venture Outdoors program of your choice.
- My parents on a beer tasting hike (successfully completed this one)
- My dog Gus on a dog-friendly trip (still working on this one)
- My girlfriend, Vani on a Perseids Paddle (still working on this one)
9. What is your favorite Venture Outdoors memory?
Any Rock Climbing trip with Fred Gunter. I love introducing people to climbing, and Fred is the coolest!
10. Describe your dream Venture Outdoors program/outing.
A climbing trip followed by a beer tasting… I can’t think of anything better
11. What is the earliest memory you have of being outside?
Hiking in McConnells Mill State Park with the family.
12. What would the title of your autobiography be?
Livin’ the Dream
13. Any hidden talents?
Singing! Shameless plug for my Soundcloud… https://soundcloud.com/billy-dixon
14. What is your favorite song (or album) right now?
To Cure What Ails by Shakey Graves. May or may not have a tattoo inspired by it.
15. What is your biggest challenge nowadays?
Balancing all the trips I want to go on with my bank account!