We are continuing our staff spotlight series. There’s a lot of behind-the-scenes brain power that goes into planning your favorite programs, be it public, family-friendly, or custom outings. Learn about those who work inside so you can get outside.
This week we’ll be interviewing Jayme Penner, our Membership and Special Projects Coordinator.
1. Briefly tell us about your background: where did you grow up, where did you go to school, and what brought you to Venture Outdoors?
I grew up in Pittsburgh. I went to Chatham University and majored in Business. For a short time period, I lived in Colorado, when I moved back I knew I’d want to eventually end up in recreation. One thing led to another and I found myself as a Kayak Pittsburgh supervisor in 2014 and then hired full time by Venture Outdoors in fall 2014.
2. Describe your role at Venture Outdoors in 10 words or less.
Community Outreach, Special Events, Junior Board.
3. What does “getting outside” mean to you?
Appreciating the natural wonders of your backyard…with a beer in hand.
4. If you had to pick only one recreational activity to practice for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
Skiing – because it’s SO MUCH FUN: speed, gravity, downhill sports – YAY!
5. What is the craziest thing you have done?
Moving to a small ski town in Colorado without a job, place to live, or knowing a soul and making it work!
6. What are your top five favorite outdoors/travel destinations?
1. Frick Park
2. Crested Butte, CO
4. Family Farm in West Virginia
5. My parents’ back yard
7. What is your favorite forest/camping snack?
Beer is a snack right?
8. Name three people in history (dead or alive) with whom you would want to take on a Venture Outdoors program of your choice.
1. My grandfather
2. Whitney Houston (She’d sing the soundtrack to my greatest adventure)
3. Glen Plake
9. What is your favorite Venture Outdoors memory?
Apres Banff 2016. Or this day (see picture below):
10. What is the earliest memory you have of being outside?
Learning how to ski at Seven Springs with my Dad.
11. What would the title of your autobiography be?
“I Didn’t Write This” or “Snark”
12.Any hidden talents?
I can touch my nose with my tongue.
13. What is your favorite song (or album) right now?
My favorite song has always been: “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” by Whitney Houston