Venture Outdoors has established a robust Volunteer Trip Leader program that focuses on developing individual’s leadership skills through outdoor recreation.
We offer plenty of training opportunities and an apprentice program to get new leaders up to speed. Becoming a trip leader offers fun, camaraderie, personal growth, and the opportunity to contribute to the Venture Outdoors mission of getting more people outside. Trip leaders are invited to special leaders-only activities, can attend many Venture Outdoors trips free of charge, and enjoy great support from Venture Outdoors staff and other leaders.
Volunteer leaders are absolutely essential to Venture Outdoors’s success, and we highly value the contribution our leaders make. If you love to hike, bike, paddle, backpack–or do anything outside–and want to share your love of these activities with others, please consider becoming a Venture Outdoors trip leader today. Click the link to fill out our volunteer request form.
Trip Leader Expectations
- Be a current member of Venture Outdoors
- Have current certifications in CPR (Adult/Child/Infant) and Basic First Aid. Certifications must be from a nationally recognized certifying institution such as Wilderness Medicine Institute, the American Red Cross, or the American Heart Association. (Volunteer trip leaders who hold current Wilderness First Aid certification will be considered to have met the Basic First Aid expectation.)
- Hold current Child Abuse and Criminal Background Check Clearances
- Have attended Venture Outdoors Volunteer Orientation
- Have completed Outdoor Leadership Training—Weekend or Modules (Training scholarship are available by filling out the form)
- Be in good physical condition to lead the particular activity involved
- Have some proficiency and experience in the particular activity involved.
- Have knowledge of and access to appropriate clothing, footwear, and gear for the particular activity involved
- Desire to share knowledge with others
- Commitment to uphold Leave No Trace ethics
- Act in a professional and courteous manner at all times
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people in a friendly manner
- Properly complete program paperwork and return to office staff in a timely manner