Young Adult Program Specialist
15 Questions with Garret Struble
1. Briefly tell us about your background: where did you grow up, where did you go to school, and what brought you to Venture Outdoors?
I grew up in Elk County, PA and went to college at Duquesne University (bachelors and masters). I was attracted to Venture Outdoors because it allows me to combine my love for the outdoors and non-profit organizations.
2. Describe your role at Venture Outdoors in 10 words or less.
I communicate with local colleges to book various adventure outings.
3. What does “getting outside” mean to you?
Getting outside is about discovering yourself through nature.
4. If you had to pick only one recreational activity to practice for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
Rock climbing because I’m afraid of heights but I love the trill and challenge of pushing my boundaries and overcoming obstacles.
5. What is the craziest thing you have done?
I went on a solo trip to Colorado after I graduated high school.
6. What are your top five favorite outdoors/travel destinations?
Galápagos Islands, Zion National Park (Utah), Canada, Mexico, Colorado
7. What is your favorite forest/camping snack?
Trail mix with raisins
8. Name three people in history (dead or alive) with whom you would want to take on a Venture Outdoors program of your choice.
Charles Darwin, Jessica Lange, and Nicki Minaj
9. What are you most looking forward to at Venture Outdoors?
The opportunity to make amazing adventures for people who may not otherwise experience outdoor recreation in their spare time.
10. Describe your dream Venture Outdoors program/outing.
My ideal trip would involve hiking, wildlife/plant identification, and exploration in a beautiful setting such as a state or national park.
11. What is the earliest memory you have of being outside?
My earliest outdoor memory is hiking into the Allegheny National forest to go tent camping with my dad and brother.
12. What would the title of your autobiography be?
The Making of Struble; Not to be confused with Strudel
13. Any hidden talents?
I can make loon calls with my hands.
14. What is your favorite song (or album) right now?
Beam me up Scotty- Nicki Minaj
15. What is your biggest challenge nowadays?
My biggest challenge is saying no when others ask too much from me.