Jim Smith he/him
Equipment and Facilities Manager
15 Questions with Jim Smith, our Equipment and Facilities Manger
1. Briefly tell us about your background: where did you grow up, where did you go to school, and what brought you to Venture Outdoors?
I grew up in Greentree just outside of Pittsburgh. I went to Keystone Oaks High School and then to California University of PA. An internship with the PA Fish and Boat Commission led to me Venture Outdoors in the summer of 2010.
2. Describe your role at Venture Outdoors in 10 words or less.
3. What does “getting outside” mean to you?
Relaxing and enjoying nature.
4. If you had to pick only one recreational activity to practice for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
Kayaking because I enjoy it and there is always a new place new to paddle and explore.
5. What is the craziest thing you have done?
Nothing to crazy but going on a road trip for 14 days last fall by myself with a kayak, camping gear, and no real plan was pretty awesome.
6. What are your top five favorite outdoors/travel destinations?
Ireland, Lake Erie, Vermont, Nolin River Lake, and wherever I can get outside.
7. What is your favorite forest/camping snack?
8. Name three people in history (dead or alive) with whom you would want to take on a Venture Outdoors program of your choice.}
John Muir, Teddy Roosevelt, Davy Crockett.
9. What is your favorite Venture Outdoors memory?
Paddle at the Point.
10. Describe your dream Venture Outdoors program/outing.
Any paddle in a new place.
11. What is the earliest memory you have of being outside?
Playing outside with my brother behind my dad’s apartment buildings.
12. What would the title of your autobiography be?
The Redneck Engineer
13. Any hidden talents?
I enjoy wood working and, it’s been a few years, but ceramics.
14. What is your favorite song (or album) right now?
So many good choices it’s hard to pick. I’m a big classic rock fan and own over 350 records so I would say whatever is currently on the turntable.
15. What is your biggest challenge nowadays?
Home ownership and projects around the house.