Lo Zemanek she/her
Youth Programs Director
15 Questions with Lo Hutelmyer, our Youth Program Manager
1. Briefly tell us about your background: where did you grow up, where did you go to school, and what brought you to Venture Outdoors?
I grew up in Philadelphia, went to business school at Penn State and then taught middle schoolers in the south (South Carolina and Texas) for four years. I made my way to Pittsburgh to be closer to loved ones, where I found Venture Outdoors!
2. Describe your role at Venture Outdoors in 10 words or less:
Play with kids outside!
3. What does “getting outside” mean to you?
Anything that involves the capability of smelling fresh air: sitting on my back patio, walking along the city sidewalk or hiking a beautiful trail in a park.
4. If you had to pick only one recreational activity to practice for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
If my knees stayed in tip top shape for the rest of my life, I would just run forever. Running makes me feel free and calm and allows me to explore the outdoors.
5. What is the craziest thing you have done?
Bungee jumped off the HIGHEST bungee bridge in the world in Tsitsikamma, South Africa.
6. What are your top five favorite outdoors/travel destinations?
Flat Irons of Boulder, CO; South Africa’s Garden Route; the beach at the Jersey shore; Manuel Antonio National Park in Costa Rica; my backyard.
7. What is your favorite forest/camping snack?
A nice, fresh apple!
8. Name three people in history (dead or alive) with whom you would want to take on a Venture Outdoors program of your choice.
My mom and dad (they can count as one!); my grandparents; Dan Harris (news anchor).
9. What is your favorite Venture Outdoors memory?
Bringing my family and friends to Kayak Pittsburgh and allowing them to experience the benefits of Venture Outdoors.
10. Describe your dream Venture Outdoors program/outing.
Running and yoga with kiddos in a beautiful park on a sunny day.
11. What is the earliest memory you have of being outside?
Blowing bubbles in the backyard during the summertime with my momma and dogs.
12. What would the title of your autobiography be?
“The Run Around”
13. Any hidden talents?
I can scare people away with my laughter…
14. What is your favorite song (or album) right now?
Probably Leon Bridges’ new album “Coming Home”…he’s pretty swell and I like to listen to him during dinner time.
15. What is your biggest challenge nowadays?
Oh, that balancing act of professional and personal – it’s a common one, I hear.