Title: Program Administrator
Phone: 412-255-0564 x200
1. Briefly tell us about your background: where did you grow up, where did you go to school, and what brought you to Venture Outdoors?
I grew up and went to high school in Freedom PA, just 40 minutes north of Pittsburgh. I just graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with a degree in History and Political Science. During my sophomore year, I realized that I wanted to work with nonprofits after graduation and added a certificate in Nonprofit Management. I interned with Venture Outdoors’ program team during my last semester, and then applied for the Program Administrator role that was open!
2. Describe your role at Venture Outdoors in 10 words or less.
Helping all the people get outside!
3. What does “getting outside” mean to you?
Making time to do anything outdoors, whether it’s a long walk or hike, camping in the woods, or just eating dinner on the porch.
4. If you had to pick only one recreational activity to practice for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
I’m going to combine two here, but definitely hiking and camping! Hiking is a great way to explore an area and challenge yourself while doing it (not to mention the awesome views you can get). Camping has, and always will be, one of my best ways to destress and spend some quality time in nature with the people there with me.
5. What is the craziest thing you have done?
Spending almost five hours zip lining in the Hottentots Holland Mountains outside of Cape Town, South Africa. I’m terrified of heights!
6. What are your top five favorite outdoors/travel destinations?
- Cape Town, South Africa – incredible city with so many opportunities for hiking and outdoor recreation.
- Cook Forest, PA – my “home away from home”.
- Anywhere with a beach.
- Moraine State Park, PA.
- Glacier National Park, MT – #1 on my bucket list right now.
7. What is your favorite forest/camping snack?
This is a little more than a snack, but mountain pies are always a camping staple.
8. Name three people in history (dead or alive) with whom you would want to take on a Venture Outdoors program of your choice.
- Bob Ross – it would be the happiest experience ever.
- Ron Swanson – it would just be awesome.
- My family – they also love the outdoors and taught me everything I know.
9. What is your favorite Venture Outdoors memory? (or newbies: What are you looking forward to most?)
Volunteering for the 2018 Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour. It was so fun to see everyone coming together with a shared love of the outdoors. And the films were awesome!
10. Describe your dream Venture Outdoors program/outing.
Any sort of hiking followed by a picnic.
11. What is the earliest memory you have of being outside?
Probably going camping with my family each summer. Some years we would spend almost every weekend going somewhere near Cook Forest, PA or Lake Erie. Did I mention I love camping?
12. What would the title of your autobiography be?
“Tales of a Post-Grad Trying to Adult”
13. Any hidden talents?
I’ve learned that I can write a 10-20-page essay in record time…
14. What is your favorite song (or album) right now?
I don’t know about just one favorite, but right now I’ll say Leon Bridges’ newest album, “Good Thing.”
15. What is your biggest challenge nowadays?
Being allergic to every plant that comes with spring and also my pets…worth it.