Getting to Know Our Staff: Fifteen Questions with Samone
This week we’ll be interviewing Samone Riddle our Communications and Media Manager
- Briefly tell us about your background: where did you grow up, where did you go to school, and what brought you to Venture Outdoors?
I lived in Hawaii, Colorado, and North Carolina but eventually settled in Virginia. I studied at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh and Carlow University (fantastic school). After school I served in AmeriCorps as a Pittsburgh Public Ally where I learned nonprofit management social justice.
My first big kid job was with Healthy Ride where I learned to love biking and started spending more time outdoors. When I saw a position open with Venture Outdoors, if felt like the perfect next step.
- Describe your role at Venture Outdoors in 10 words or less.
Getting the word out!
- What does “getting outside” mean to you?
Anytime you leave a building… you’re outside. Do it more!
- If you had to pick only one recreational activity to practice for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
Biking! I could bike every day, everywhere.
- What is the craziest thing you have done?
If you mean crazy as in risky, I ride a motorcycle and often skip getting a flu shot most years.
- What are your top five favorite outdoors/travel destinations?
Anywhere along the GAP trail
Pike’s Peak in Colorado
Anywhere I can find a tiny cute cabin and friends
- What is your favorite forest/camping snack?
I’ve been making these vegan cookie dough energy bikes. They’re delicious! I love making my own snacks and bringing them along on trips.
- Name three people in history (dead or alive) with whom you would want to take on a Venture Outdoors program of your choice.
Kate McKinnon, My Great Gramma Priscilla, Mr. Rogers
- What is your favorite Venture Outdoors memory? (or newbies: What are you looking forward to most?)
I’m looking forward to Kayaking on the Allegheny during the 4th of July Fireworks.
- Describe your dream Venture Outdoors program/outing.
I would love to have an outdoor dance party. Let’s take over the park, play music, and have a cookout.
- What is the earliest memory you have of being outside?
I remember daring my brother and neighborhood friends to eat dirt and worms in my backyard in North Carolina. They don’t taste too bad!
- What would the title of your autobiography be?
“Resilient and Covered in Cat Fur”
- Any hidden talents?
I can beat anyone in a burping contest.
- What is your favorite song (or album) right now?
Chance the Rapper – Coloring Book
- What is your biggest challenge nowadays?
Keeping life simple.