Afterschool Advocacy Day On May 3, we returned to the state capital with students to…
Get to Know Our Staff: 15 Questions with Stephanie Capilongo
15 Questions with Stephanie Capilongo
Paddle Sports Coordinator
This week we’ll be interviewing Stephanie, our fantastic Paddle Sports Coordinator
1. Briefly tell us about your background: where did you grow up, where did you go to school, and what brought you to Venture Outdoors?
I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and went to Kent State University. I honestly don’t know what brought me to Venture Outdoors. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but I knew I had to make a change. Then I stumbled across a job posting for Kayak Pittsburgh and applied. To this day, it’s one of the best decisions I have ever made.
2. Describe your role at Venture Outdoors in 10 words or less.
Inspiring my growth as a leader.
3. What does “getting outside” mean to you?
There are no boundaries, which gives me a sense of confidence.
4. If you had to pick only one recreational activity to practice for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
Trail running. It’s simple and quiet but makes me feel like IRON WOMAN when I climb those hills.
5. What is the craziest thing you have done?
I’m not sure, I’ve always been told that everything I do is crazy.
6. What are your top five favorite outdoors/travel destinations?
I don’t have a top five. Anywhere I go, I manage to find something worth noting. For example, this past summer I went to Gettysburg. It sounds random, but it was such an incredible place to visit.
7. What is your favorite forest/camping snack?
Apples can never go wrong with a beautiful honey crisp.
8. Name three people in history (dead or alive) with whom you would want to take on a Venture Outdoors program of your choice.
- Captain Edward Smith (Captain of the Titanic)
- George Washington
- My dog
9. What is your favorite Venture Outdoors memory? (or newbies: What are you looking forward to most?)
It’s not one memory, but rather all the memories I’ve had with Venture Outdoors that led to the friendships I have today.
10. Describe your dream Venture Outdoors program/outing.
Backing packing the Appalachian trail.
11. What is the earliest memory you have of being outside?
Going hiking with my dad and sisters at Beechwood Farms.
12. What would the title of your autobiography be?
The Wild Creature
13. Any hidden talents?
I know just about every fact about the Titanic (NOT THE MOVIE).
14. What is your favorite song (or album) right now?
Wait by the river – Lord Huron
15. What is your biggest challenge nowadays?