- This event has passed.
Rocks & Waterfalls – Fall Run
June 19, 2021 @ 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm$10.00 – $15.00
Welcome to Rocks & Waterfalls!
This trip will explore Falls Run Park in Shaler. This trip is led by Earth Science Excursions, LLC.
- learn to identify shale, sandstone, limestone and coal
- see fossils of animals that lived 300 million years ago
- If there is snow, we will see a winter wonderland!
This waterfall, the first in our series, demonstrates the three key ingredients of a good waterfall: a capping rock layer that is resistant to erosion, softer rock layers underneath, and a change in the watershed that caused a “knickpoint.”
We will meet in the parking area and walk up the trail together, stopping in several places to examine and discuss the geology and admire the scenery. The entrance to Fall Run Park is off Fall Run Road, near Route 8 (William Flinn Highway) a few miles north of Etna.
For safety purposes, there will be no more than 6 participants on the excursion. We will be walking for a total of about two miles, up and down a well-groomed path that climbs a total of about 200 feet, including about 40 feet on wooden steps next to the waterfall. We must stay at least ten feet away from the cliff at the top of the waterfall, and other smaller cliffs that are off the path. There may be mud, and in cold weather there may be snow and ice. We will be away from the vehicles for a couple of hours. The vehicles will be driving and parking on pavement and gravel.
Allergy alert for spring and summer: We will be in natural habitats of snakes and insects. Fall Run Park has no restroom facilities.
- Comfortable boots for walking on uneven ground and depending on conditions on ice, in mud or snow. We will want to look at rocks next to the stream, and it will help if your boots are able to withstand a few inches of water. This is a popular park with a narrow trail.
- Face coverings ARE required.
- Check the weather forecast; please wear weather-appropriate clothing that can get dirty and that will allow you to be comfortable in the outdoors for an hour or so.
- In season there is poison ivy along trails we will be walking so wear high socks and long pants.
Walking stick, Smart phone, camera. Identification guides; notebook or sketch pad and pencil.
Venture Outdoors Community Programs are brought to you by Peoples Gas