OPEN FOR THE SEASON
Rent kayaks, SUPs (stand up paddleboards), and canoes at North Park Lake. The calm atmosphere makes for a picturesque nature paddle.
10301 Pearce Mill Rd, Allison Park, PA 15101
Opens JUNE 5
Rent solo and tandem kayaks to paddle along Pittsburgh’s waterways. Explore the three rivers from a unique perspective for gorgeous views.
1 Federal St, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Become a Season Pass Holder
Join a beginner paddle, sunset paddle, or clean up event
Visit our activities calendar
Do I need to book in advance?
Yes! Please book your time slot in advance. Due to COVID-19 restrictions we need to limit the number of people at the concessions.
How old must you be to kayak here?
Typically, anyone ages 3+ can go kayaking.
However, some restrictions apply:
- Age 3 (or 35 lbs) to 12 – Must be in a tandem kayak with a parent or guardian, and parent or guardian must sign an Acknowledgement & Assumption of Risk Form for each child.
- Age 13-15 – May be in a solo kayak, but must be accompanied by a parent or guardian on the water. Must also have parent or guardian sign an Acknowledgement & Assumption of Risk Form.
- Age 16-17 – May be in a solo kayak on water alone, but parent or guardian must sign an Acknowledgement & Assumption of Risk Form.
- Age 18+ – Must sign an Acknowledgement & Assumption of Risk Form.
- Minimum weight requirement is 35 pounds.
- Maximum weight limit is 325 pounds for solo kayaks and 575 pounds for tandem kayaks.
How old must you be to stand up paddleboard here?
You must be 16 years or older to go stand up paddle boarding.
However, some restriction may apply:
- Age 16-17 – May go out on a stand up paddle board on the water alone, but parent or guardian must sign an Acknowledgement & Assumption of Risk Form.
- Age 18+ – Must sign an Acknowledgement & Assumption of Risk Form
Will weather effect my trip?
We love our kayakers and your safety is our highest concern! We closely monitor thunder, rain, riverflow, and wind conditions. The safety of our guests and employees is Kayak Pittsburgh’s utmost priority.
- For every clap of thunder and/or strike of lightening, Kayak Pittsburgh is required to close the rental location for at least 45 minutes. Depending on the longevity and intensity of the storm, the management team may decide to close the location for the remainder of the day.
- The Kayak Pittsburgh rental location will continue operation if it’s raining unless there is a “Flash Flood Warning”.
River flow is measured in cubic feet per second and it’s one of the key indicators of river conditions. We follow a standard rule of 27kcfs or 27 thousands of cubic feet per second.
This means we do not allow kayakers in the water when the flow is above 27kcfs. We use a hydrograph provided by the U.S. National Weather Service (NWS)andNational Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to help us make this call. Check out the hydrograph for part of the Allegheny River.
Can I bring my pet?
Yes! You’re welcome to bring your dog (or cat) kayaking. You are responsible for their safety. We encourage life-jackets for your pets.
What's your cancel or refund policy?
- If the Kayak Pittsburgh rental location experiences a temporary closure due to inclement weather, you will receive a full refund.
- If you are on the water while a storm approaches, we ask that you safely take shelter. If you are on the water for less than 30 minutes, you will receive a full refund.
- Kayak Pittsburgh will alert you via phone call, email and/or text message if the rental location decides to close due to inclement weather.
- If you choose to cancel your reservation due to inclement weather, but it’s after the 24-hour cancellation policy: please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.