We believe youth are at their best when they get time to learn outdoors
The Outdoor Learning Lab, which launched in 2014, engages children in year-long outdoor experiences, such as biking, kayaking, fishing, hiking, geocaching, outdoor leadership skills, and more. We work with over 250 youth across 15+ partner sites throughout Pittsburgh to help promote a healthy, active lifestyle and appreciation of nature. The program is no or low cost for participating youth.
Trained Outdoor Educators
Long Term PartnershipS
This program is specifically designed to engage children in regular, repeated interactions with the outdoors throughout the school year. We meet weekly or bi-weekly with the same group of youth all year long to help develop skills over time, build relationships, and instill a deeper connection to nature.
Our partner retention rate is 80% because we believe it is important to continue the program multiple years in a row within the same school and community to create long-lasting change.
- PPS Allegheny Traditional Academy 6-8
- Manchester Academic Charter School
- PPS King K-8
- Dragon’s Den
- Methodist Union of Social Agencies (MUSA)
- Brashear Association
- A Giving Heart
- Center that Cares
- PPS Milliones UPrep
- South Hills Interfaith Movement (Whitehall)
- Latino Community Center (Beechwood)
- PPS Arsenal 6-8 (Lawrenceville)
- Center of Life (Hazelwood)
- Youth Empowerment Project (Sharpsburg)
- PPS Faison K-8 (Homewood)