Venture Outdoors is celebrating our 20th year in helping connect people to the outdoors! To celebrate this milestone, we are asking for youth to get creative. This contest will challenge youth (18 yrs or younger) to design a logo that will be used in Venture Outdoors’ promotional materials, including on our website, social media, t-shirts, and more. Imagine repping a hat with YOUR design on it. The artist of the winning design will receive a $500 scholarship to an educational or enrichment program.
Submit the winning logo design and you could win a $500 scholarship!
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Submissions due March 5
- Logo must include the words “Venture Outdoors”
- May include any colors, but artists are encouraged to incorporate green, blue, and orange (Venture Outdoors’ brands colors).
- Can be created with pencils, crayons, markers, paint, or with a computer drawing program.
- Should be simple, not overly detailed, and all elements must be identifiable when reproduced in smaller sizes.
- Artists are encouraged to draw inspiration from the current Venture Outdoors logo (top left hand corner of this page).
To learn more about Venture Outdoors’ mission and values here.
To view the criteria and scoring rubric that will be used by the contest judges when reviewing submissions, click here: 20th Anniversary Youth Logo Design Contest Scoring Rubric
Youth Logo Design Contest FAQs
What does the contest winner receive?
The winner of the contest will receive a $500 scholarship towards a leadership, educational, or enrichment program of choice. If the winner is a minor (under 18 years old), the parent/guardian will be involved in the decision making process. Examples include camps, afterschool programs, swim lessons, YMCA camp, coding camps, tutoring services, etc. This scholarship is being generously donated by an anonymous supporter of the organization.The scholarship must be used within two years of the agreement date. Venture Outdoors reserves the right to refuse the scholarship program selection if it does not fit within the mission and values of our organization (see mission and values here).
We will also invite the winner to participate in Venture Outdoors’ major events throughout the year, such as Tour d’ Explore (June 2021) and Chill Fest (December 2021).
Who can participate?
This contest is open to youth who are 18 years old or younger living with the United States. Youth under 18 years old must have parent/guardian permission to enter and will need a parent/guardian to submit the submission form.
What happens to my logo after I submit it?
- As soon as you submit your logo, it automatically becomes the property of Venture Outdoors.
- You should keep a copy of your submission.
- Submissions can be returned upon request.
- We will NOT use the winning image to merchandise or create a revenue stream.
- The winner will need to sign an agreement with Venture Outdoors acknowledging our intellectual property rights and usage of the logo.
How will you choose the winning design?
A committee comprised of Venture Outdoors staff, board members, and volunteers will review the submissions and select the top 5 using the scoring rubric below.
- Each committee member will score on their own individually, then scores will be totaled to determine the top 5 winners.
- In the event of a tie for fifth place, the “top 6 or 7, etc.” designs will also be included in the community voting.
On March 8, the top 5 designs will be posted to our website and shared out via social media for the community to vote for the winner (this live community voting will last 2 days).
Are there any guidelines on how to use the $500 prize?
The scholarship will need to be used within 2 years of the announcement. Venture Outdoors will directly pay for the cost ($500 worth) of the educational or enrichment experience that is chosen. The anonymous donor reserves the right to refuse the choice of the educational/enrichment program if it does not align with the mission, vision, and/or of Venture Outdoors (read about our mission and values here). Once the experience of choice has been decided, Venture Outdoors will pay the $500 directly to the vendor.
Which file type do I need to upload?
The following file formats are accepted for logo submission via the electronic form: .jpg, .gif, .png, .pdf. The maximum file size is 50 MB.
Can I mail or drop off my logo instead?
Yes, you can! If you would prefer to mail it or arrange to drop it off somewhere (within Pittsburgh), please contact Lo@ventureoutdoors.org or call 412-255-0564 x230. You will need to put it in the mail with plenty of time for it to be delivered by the submission deadline. Submissions received after the submission deadline will NOT be considered.
When are submissions due?
EXTENDED DEADLINE: All submissions must be sent in by 5:00pm EST on Friday, March 5 2021. No late entries will be considered.