Luke Borowy he/him
Kayak Pittsburgh Manager
15 Questions with Luke Borowy, Kayak Pittsburgh Manager
1. Briefly tell us about your background: where did you grow up, where did you go to school, and what brought you to Venture Outdoors?
I was born and raised in Erie, PA. After a long stint in the Boy Scouts (yes I earned the rank of Eagle) I attended Penn State Behrend in Erie PA. During my schooling, I found my way into the aquatic safety industry and pursued that career for quite a long time. My love of outdoor experience combined with a long history in aquatic safety lead me to my current role at Venture Outdoors.
2. Describe your role at Venture Outdoors in 10 words or less.
Bring the joy of watersports to everyone!
3. What does “getting outside” mean to you?
Any activity that occurs in fresh air without walls and a roof.
4. If you had to pick only one recreational activity to practice for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
Hiking, day, or backpacking. It’s a great activity for wellness, exploration, and spending time outdoors with the family.
5. What is the craziest thing you have done?
I have several but the one I’ll select is getting a first hand tour of the underside of a white water raft at Ohiopyle. The River was pretty high that day and I ended up riding through the Entrance and part of Dimple rapid outside the raft. In all fairness riding outside the boat was not my choice on either occasion.
6. What are your top five favorite outdoors/travel destinations?
My favorite places visited are Presque Isle, the Shenandoah Valley, Linn Run State Park, The Allegheny national forest, and Chincoteague Virginia.
7. What is your favorite forest/camping snack?
A 5lb bag of Cheez-it crackers
8. Name three people in history (dead or alive) with whom you would want to take on a Venture Outdoors program of your choice.
Theodore Roosevelt, Lord Baden Powell, and Daniel Boone.
9. What is your favorite Venture Outdoors memory?
I am looking forward to spending time on our area’s waterways as well as adding some miles to my hiking boots.
10. Describe your dream Venture Outdoors program/outing.
A long Kayak paddle to a scenic island or shore for an overnight camp out.
11. What is the earliest memory you have of being outside?
Playing outside around my parent’s home in the country.
12. What would the title of your autobiography be?
“The calm in the storm.”
13. Any hidden talents?
I consider my knot-tying skills to be at least slightly above average.
14. What is your favorite song (or album) right now?
Layla by Eric Clapton
15. What is your biggest challenge nowadays?
Keeping a balance between work and family life: it gets challenging when you enjoy both.