Friday, August 12, 2022
This Summer, Derrell Mack is joining the Venture Outdoors team as our Summer intern from City High School. Get to know Derrell!
1. Briefly tell us about your background: where did you grow up, where do you go to school, and what brought you to Venture Outdoors?
I mostly grew up in East Liberty. I go to city high which is downtown. When I was a kid, I loved the outdoors and to just be surrounded by nature.
2. Describe your role at Venture Outdoors in 10 words or less.
I will be going outside with kids, helping clean up after activities and anything else around the office.
3. What does “getting outside” mean to you?
To me getting outside means that I can look around and watch nature while I relax and take it all in or just going and exercising.
4. If you had to pick only one recreational activity to practice for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
I would probably pick football because I used to play football and I had a lot of fun and I made some good friends.
5. What is your favorite spot in Pittsburgh?
The Point is my favorite spot, because me and my friends get together and hangout and play football or just chill.
6. What are your top five favorite outdoors/travel destinations?
7. What is your favorite forest/camping snack?
8. Name three people in history (dead or alive) with whom you would want to take on a Venture Outdoors program of your choice.
My brother Laron
My uncle Steve
My little brother Dre
9. What are you most looking forward to this summer?
Going outside and having fun.
10. Describe your dream Venture Outdoors program/outing.
Going on a canoe trip down the river.
11. What is the earliest memory you have of being outside?
Going on a bike ride with my school downtown.
12. What would the title of your autobiography be?
“Derrell’s Long Adventure”
13. Any hidden talents?
I’ve been told that I’m a good singer, but I don’t think so…
14. What is your favorite song (or album) right now?
“Grateful” by Neffex
15. What is your biggest challenge nowadays?
Completing my school work on time.